The First Stop on the Road to the Destruction of Humanity

Sunday, June 27, 2004

Cambrino Lesson One: Greetings

When greeting new people, or in formal situations, you should use the formal greeting "Tadi/sela tama/sesi pana" which means "I greet you. Tadi and sela(tadi is male and sela is female) are the polite first person subject pronouns (IE, "I" as opposed to "me"), and tama/sesi are the polite second person object pronouns (IE "him/her" as opposed to "he/she").

There are several more informal greetings:

Šolo žari!
SHO-loh ZHAH-RIH
Bright day!

Panani!
pah-NAH-NIH
Hello! (if you are male)

Panana!
pah-NAH-NAH
Hello! (if you are female)

Another greeting is "Tami/sesa de phi?" or, "You are good?", which is generally replied with "Tadi/sela phi, en tami/sese?", literally "I good, and you?".

Let's here a conversation in Cambrino between two cousins:

Sevis: -Panana!-

Žes: -Panana, asotana! Sa de phi?-

Sevis: -La phi-zophi, en se? La civate veva phi šo erate.-

Žes: -We, civate veva phi šo manata mala voli šo. Veva volire čo hohal šo-

Sevis: -We, sa šotä eriša. La risi vät rhoma. Nobena!-

Žes: -Sa le risa vät rhoma, esotana. Nobena!-

-------
Translation

Sevis: "Hello!"

Žes: "Hello, maternal cousin! Are you good?"

Sevis: "I okay, and you? I hear city life is good."

Žes: "Yes, city life is good because it is easy. Life is less easy at the country."

Sevis: "Yes, you have been lucky. I must travel home. Farewell!"

Žes: "You must vist my house, paternal cousin. Farewell!"

0 Comments:

Start Ranting

<< Home